Monday, April 30, 2012

Make your own chalkboard... or buy this one:)

Try this at home!  I just finished up this chalkboard today and I like how it came out:) 






For the frame, I went to a craft store and bought a clearance custom frame (so big and inexpensive... probably one they had done for an order that didn't work out!)

I then went on over to the local big box store and asked those nice men working there to cut the sheet of 1/4" sanded plywood that I purchased to the exact size... love that!

Next primer on the plywood... grey is a good base color primer.  Then two coats of chalkboard paint.

Then the fun part!  I painted the frame in layers of CeCe Caldwell's Alaskan Tundra Green, Memphis Blue and then back to Alaskan Tundra.  I let it dry for a bit... and then the even more fun part...

I took an old washcloth, dampened it, and used it to rub off some of the paint where I wanted wood or layers to show through.  (You can just wash and re-use the washcloth.)  I let it dry again, and then sealed it with some of CeCe's lovely clear wax and Satin Finish (quickest thing ever!) and voila... Check out the great detailing this gives you!


Last step was to seriously hot glue it into the frame from the back... get it good, because you don't want it coming loose when you erase the chalk.  And done!  Try it!

If you need paint, you can pick it up at Not 2 Shabby in Littleton, or email me at reclamationdesigns@gmail.com to order by mail.

This one is available, and I have other frames in waiting if you would like a different color!

No comments:

Post a Comment