Sunday, June 16, 2013

CeCe Caldwell's Endurance Finish... aka my new love!

I just received my first batch of CeCe Calwell's new Endurance Finish.  It is designed for Cabinetry and Table Tops especially, but really for anything that you want a durable finish on (or just a super easy to apply finish!). 

I have several tables in my garage that I have been waiting to paint until these little pots of gold showed up.  Why?  I know may people use wax on table tops... and I do on end tables, decorative tables etc.  But, I have never been on board with using wax for the top surface of a dining table.  I don't really know how other people live in their homes, but at ours, a waxed top needs a little too much babying for a dining table.  I do love the waxed finish for other pieces... just not places that you may need to scrub marinara sauce off of!

This is the little stool that I was wet distressing yesterday.


Eager to try the new Endurance Finish, I applied it to the stool this morning.  Well, it look all of 5 minutes.  Done.  And though it says on my can that it should dry for two hours, I put the Endurance Finish on 20 minutes ago... and that little guy is dry. 

The Endurance Finish is the only product in CeCe's line that is not ZERO VOC.  It is Low VOC. (Less that 30 l/g).  As many of you know, not only am I a big Earth Mother, but I have some chemical allergies, which is one of the many reasons that I love CeCe's luscious products.  I was curious how I would react to this finish... and I didn't.  It has almost no odor, and it didn't bother me at all!  That said, respect for human health is a priority of CeCe Caldwell's, and it is recommended that you use Endurance Finish in an area with adequate ventilation.

I am in LOVE.   I suspect that we are going to need a moment of silence for the waxing tradition.  While this is just one of a great line up of finishes in CeCe's line, I am certain that some will be breaking up with their wax.... or moving the relationship into the realm of "just friends" to make room for your new love.


12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try it! Have you used the satin finish before??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, I have used the Satin Finish many times and like it. The Satin Finish is zero VOC, and so holds a nice spot in the line up of finish options. The Endurance Finish is even easier to use! Let me know what you think when you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you use to apply the endurance finish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you use clear wax under endurance finish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to refinish my kitchen cabinets. I've been using AS for a long time now and have been scared of waxing my kitchen thinking it will need too much up keep, just like you thought with your table tops. I really like the idea of the CeCe paints, and I've used the coco before. We happen to have an AS stockist where I live so it was convenience for me. My question is, is it easy to get the aged look like with dark wax and have the endurance finish? Do you stock endurance finish in your shop at Parker? I don't want to experiment with my kitchen cabinets, that is too much work to have to do over. Also, we are remodeling our kitchen and hit a road block with some drywall issues. I'm anxious to continue the progress and could start on my cabinets now. My concern is the drywall dust that will be in the air starting in a couple of weeks. If I endurance finish my cabinets could it possibly catch some of the drywall dust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I am with you on the waxed kitchen cabinets, as well as not experimenting with them!

      I think the Endurance Finish would be easier for upkeep. You may see temporary water spots when it gets wet, but they dry and become invisible again. You can use up to 6 thin coats, and I do recommend several thin coats to increase the protective layer. (And yes, I do stock it in Parker at The Parker Shoppes.)

      To answer your question about using the Endurance Finish over Aging Cream or another dark wax... it is not recommended. It will go on fine, but will scratch off somewhat easily later (as will a poly if you put it over wax). The Endurance Finish should be applied directly over the paint (after the paint has dried for 24 hours).

      To achieve an aged look, you can use CeCe Caldwell's Clear Glaze tinted with a pigment or with a bit of paint such as Virginia Chestnut. It is recommended to put a coat of Clear Glaze over the paint prior to applying the tinted glaze. Once the glaze has dried for the 24 hour period, you can then begin applying the Endurance Finish over it.

      I always recommend doing a sample door before beginning a project of that magnitude. You can find them very inexpensively at outlets such as ReStore for Habitat for Humanity, or even on Craigslist, etc.

      Drywall dust is a mess! Though I haven't been in that situation, I would imagine that you should be able to dust it off of the Endurance Finish if it is dry.

      Good luck with your kitchen. I love to see pictures of people's work!

      Delete
  6. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply on this! I just discovered that gmail has sorted notifications against my will (!), and I didn't see your question until now. On this one, I used cheesecloth, but I usually use a natural bristle brush and just gently wipe back any excess with the cheesecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danika, Hi. As above, I apologize that it has taken me so long to get back to you. I am used to comment notifications coming in my email inbox, and gmail has rearranged itself! It is not recommended to use the Endurance over the clear wax. As with other poly-type finishes, the Endurance Finish will go on nicely over cured wax, but it will easily scratch off. You should use the Endurance Finish directly over the paint... just let your paint dry for 24 hours first. Great question! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, this is great info, thanks for sharing. Do you by chance have any projects/experience on whether this order of products would work?
    Ce ce paint, satin finish, a glaze, then endurance finish?
    Or could I do cece paint, endurance finish, a glaze, then more endurance?
    I ask cuz I don't want to do a glaze right on the cece paint because I feel it grabs too much on a couple of samples I have tried. I ran out of doors for more samples!! ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great question! CeCe recommends using the glaze without any tint over the paint first, and then applying your tinted glaze.. for the reason you are describing: It is easier to control the tinted glaze and achieve the look you want when it is going over the top of a clear coat of glaze. Have you tried that? That is what I would do. I would not recommend putting the Endurance finish over Satin Finish that is layered in. Also on a side note, when you use the Endurance Finish, you will notice that some of the product settles to the bottom of the container. Be sure to thoroughly stir that back in for the best performance of the Endurance Finish. If you have already tried the clear glaze first and then using the tinted glaze let me know, and I can check in with the CeCe crew about the last scenario you mentioned of Paint, Endurance, Glaze, Endurance (I haven't tried that.). Generally the clear glaze first should do the trick though. Bravo for using sample doors! I am a big fan of sample boards as they let you experiment first to achieve the look and colors that you want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am painting old metal chairs that will be left out on my porch in the elements. Plan to distress them some so they don't looking brand new, then put Endurance Finish on top. Will I also need to add a coat of polyurethane to protect them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, Sounds like a fun project! In your situation with outdoor chairs, I would actually suggest applying a water based indoor/outdoor poly directly over the paint (rather than over the Endurance). You want water based poly so that it doesn't yellow. The poly can be used to seal the paint, and I am not sure how well it would adhere to the Endurance Finish. Happy painting!

    ReplyDelete