Sunday, August 19, 2012

What the heck is that?


But of course, it is a lovely old mahogany table getting a little wobble on the top shelf fixed.  Now this may look a tad unconventional... but I am a use what you have on hand kind of girl... and you have seen than same pot put to use in the past:)

Ok, so the explanation:  The top layer of the table had a wobble.  It was not due to the screws being loose at the plate that attaches the stem to the top.  So a little wiggling later, I discovered that it was due to the stem itself being loose in the plate.  That calls for some glue.

Now, I am not a big fan of Gorilla Glue for furniture... precisely because of that puffy ring you see in the photo... and the fact that you could pretty much take a belt sander to it and not be able to smooth it out for aesthetics.  But, this is the underside of the table, and it will never show... and the Gorilla Glue will hold it really well.

The challenge with a table top is getting it level.  So bring on the plywood which creates a platform for all three legs... and a cooking pot full of water that I set on the plywood and moved around until the little bubble on the level indicated that I had it. (Unless you are using a level that provides feedback on multi-dimensional leveling, you will want to set the level in different spots to get an overall read on it.)

Looking forward to the glue drying so i can get painting on this.... I'm thinking possibly CeCe Caldwell's Destin Gulf Green... I'll post when I finish it.  Have a great Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog after searching for Cece Caldwell paint retailers in my area! I refinish furniture and resell as well, but have always used latex paint!! Ahh, one too many sinus infections later and I finally researched chalk/milk paint! I am so excited to go pick some up and give it a try. I love the colors and am excited to see if it works as easily as everyone says!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talia,
    Hi! It was literally a breath of fresh air to me when I found CeCe's! Let me know what you think after you try it (and please feel free to email or call with any questions about use).

    Just to give you a heads up, I am out of the whites until next week. There are plenty of other luscious colors to choose from in the meantime, but if you are looking for Vintage White or Simply White, I should have them in the stores at the end of the week. I'll post on my Facebook page when they are in.

    I hope we will have the opportunity to meet in person one day. Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete