Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mod Podge and Chalk Paint: Now I'm Cracking Myself Up...

My experiment with trying to decoupage maps into the drawers of the rustic 'map'chest (I may have to rename it now!) failed with results that took me right back to my kid craft days in the 1970s. You know, if you are that old, wrinkles and bubbling.  Mmm Hmm. 

So, I got to spend some quantity, if not quality, time with a spray bottle and a scraper.  And a glass of wine.  The wine really turns it into a classy experience.

So back to the drawing board.  I decided to go ahead and use chalk paint in the inside bottom of the drawers.  I wanted to contrast somewhat with the exterior, while keeping with the country gentleman look.  So, I brushed on a first coat sparingly in cream.

Well, now what to do.  I wanted an accent wash.  And I don't especially like waxed interiors on drawers.  And there is that big old bottle of Mod Podge (Matte Finish of course... remember the wine... this is not a low budget operation!) sitting there mocking me. You see where I'm going.

Oh yeah.  Mixed myself up a little chalk paint, dab of water, and a healthy dose of Mod Podge and voila... I'm Mod Podging my chalk paint!



Now the surprising part of this story is that I am really happy with it.  It has a nice color washed look, and the wood on the bottom of the drawer is sealed.  Not sure if people who grew up in the city do this kind of thing, Mod Podging their chalk paint and all.  But I didn't grow up in the city.  That wine must be going to my head.  I'm off to give it another coat;)

Here is how those drawers turned out... and the Map Chest is officially done!




No comments:

Post a Comment