Thursday, January 19, 2012

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, then maybe Possibility is the Mother of Creativity

A friend put me in touch with a friend of hers, Kirstin, who keeps a delightful and inspiring blog at http://kojo-designs.com/.  Check it out... it's worth your time!  That exchange started me thinking about where my desire to create originated.  I guess it was really in so many ways over the years of my childhood. 

But, what stands out to me right now is how thankful I am that we didn't have the money to buy all of the clothes that I wanted... or the home decor for my dolls (any male readers are now rolling their eyes.. do I have male readers?).  

Due to this perceived lack of cash, and my desire for the finer things for myself and my Barbies (well really a more politically correct set of dolls.. it was the 70s and if there is a way to combine ultra conservatism and a rural hippie lifestyle, my mom accomplished it, eating tofu long before anybody realized that wasn't a cuss word, and providing me with dolls that were more 'realistic' role models.).  Ok, I am digressing.  Back on topic. 

I decided, at the ripe old age of 12, to take matters into my own hands and whip up some of those gorgeous (did I ever really think so?) Gunne Sax dresses by Jessica McClintock myself.  So I learned to sew.  And that put the very helpful, and sometimes maddening, belief into my young self that where there is a will there is a way, along with a passion to use whatever was available to me to create or transform something.

That has become a life-long passion, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment